Saturday, November 20, 2010

I love it when the power goes out!

I remember enjoying the power going out so much when I was younger....we would cuddle under blankets and read a good book for hours and hours :)  We would light a ton of candles and set them out throughout the whole house, and the house would have the certain waxy, warm smell.  We would boil water on the wood stove downstairs and make hot chocolate, mmmm!  The fire place would be crackling, and we would all enjoy the silence and the relaxation.

We had very high winds on Monday, and the power went out at about 7:00 in the evening.  Thankfully we had all eaten dinner and the house was warm, so we were all set to hunker down and enjoy listening to the rain and the howling winds.  I had even just boiled the kettle, so I quickly made some tea for everyone while it was still hot! :)  We eventually all went to bed in the pitch blackness and silence that you just don't get when there's electricity running through a house.  Mom woke up at 4:30 the next morning to the entire upstairs of the house lit up like crazy!

Alina and Jordan trying to get the phones to work....after they finally found a corded phone! :)
Jordan and I enjoyed playing around with long exposures and one of the flashlights :)
Alina reading by candlelight
Jordan working on a crossword by candlelight :)

1 comment:

  1. I too, love it when the power goes out! I'm glad we have the fireplace - too bad the water doesn't work without the electricity!!

    Very nice pics Kristi!

    ReplyDelete