Saturday, August 21, 2010

My views on the "Ground Zero Mosque"

These are my opinions....I'm sorry if they don't meet yours, but I guess that's why we were all created different and unique, with the ability to form our own beliefs and personal views.

First of all, to call it the "Ground Zero Mosque" is very inaccurate, and yet another way we are encouraged to hate on Islam.  This building is to be built on private property, many blocks away from Ground Zero.  A friend of mine shared a very interesting link as to just how "hallowed" this ground is at and around Ground Zero.  Please check it out - it is very typical of any large city:  Hallowed Ground?   So, it's very hallowed ground, and it must be honoured, but we do allow strip clubs, storefronts for betting, fast food restaurants, etc?

To believe that all people who practice Islam should be punished for the radical views of a few is completely irrational.  I am a practicing Christian - I go to church every Saturday, I pray to God, I do all that I need to do to build my relationship with God, as *I* see fit.  I am an individual and I have that right.  I have the right to meet where and when I want, to practice my religious beliefs.  Why is it that we are denying those who practice the religion of Islam to have those same rights?  I don't agree with all the practices and doctrines of the Catholic faith, or the Jewish faith, or Islamic faith, but why would I think I have the right to tell them where and when they can meet, where they can or cannot build their temples or mosques or churches?  We all believe that our religious beliefs are the correct ones, and we have the right to do that, but to judge those around us simply for believing something else is BIBLICALLY wrong.

Why is it that the United States as a nation, and many other countries for that matter, are willing to judge the entire faith of Islam, every person who practices that faith, on the views of the radicals?  Why are people so willing to believe that every Islamic person AGREES with those radical beliefs?  The United States was attacked by a group of radical individuals, who want to kill and destroy all Americans and all that the United States stands for.  Do we really believe that all people who practice Islam believe this??  Honestly?  Please read this article:   Islamaphobia  - We are encouraged to have a hatred and fear of Islam.  It is unreal how willing people are to fully and completely accept this, no questions asked.  How are we any different from those radicals who bombed the WTC and killed thousands of people?  We INVADED their countries under the ruse of WMD's (huge laugh) and peace (read: oil) and killed (and continue to kill) thousands of their innocent people. 

There have been radical Christians - people who take things way too far.  Many people think of organized religion as "CULT".  Is it fair to believe that I belong to a cult just because I attend with an "organized religion"?  Should we then ban all Christians from meeting together in unity to practice their beliefs because there have been radical views on Christians in the past?  Should we ban all Catholics from meeting together in unity to practice their religious beliefs because we just don't agree with the Pope and frankly we are disgusted by those priests who molest little boys and girls?  These priests who molest these children are abhorrent individuals - they should all be arrested and taken out of society......yet do I believe all Catholics, priests or otherwise, are sexually abusing little children?  No, of course not!  Because that is ignorant and utterly close-minded!

I do not want my religious beliefs directed to me from the government of any country.  I do not want to be told where and when I can meet in unity with my fellow church-goers by the government of any country.  I do NOT want to have my RIGHT to "peaceably assemble" taken away from me.  I think we all need to assess just why we are judging these people based on the views and beliefs of a radical few.

First Amendment - Religion & Expression  -  "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

1 comment:

  1. You might be interested in reading, "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

    ReplyDelete