Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Changes

We're going to be seeing some changes in our lives in the next few weeks. We've been trying to figure out all the logistics of it for a month or so now, and we finally have a solid plan.

As some of you know, Luke is American (born and raised in Colorado) and I am Canadian (Victoria-born, Sooke-raised). The original plan when we got married was for Luke to immigrate to Canada with me, since we both loved it up there. God obviously had different plans for us, as everytime we got close to being able to send the paperwork, or complete the paperwork, there was a barrier standing in our way. We delt with major health issues, major financial issues...you name it, we faced it. It's an expensive proposition, and it seemed like everytime we came up with the money to do it, something majorly pressing took it all away. Anyway, long story short, we have come to love our lives here in Colorado, and want to stay in the US. The plan is now to have me immigrate to the US and live here permanently. We love the house that Luke bought, and we want to stay there a long time. And plus, Luke is starting school to get his Bachelors and Masters in Accounting...so we have a lot to stay here for. We've talked about moving to the west coast someday - possibly Washington State or Oregon, so we can be much closer to my family. This is especially important if/when we have children someday.

Anyway, so with me immigrating to the states, I have to go back to Canada while my paperwork is being filed. I could come and visit if we choose, like always, but when Luke files the paperwork to begin with, I have to be out of the country. So I have a plane ticket back home to Victoria on Feb. 1st. Sadly, that's only a couple of weeks away. The whole process could take 8-10 months it's looking like, so I will likely not be able to move to the US until maybe Sept/Oct...possibly later. So we're looking at a long time being apart, which really stinks.

We're really hoping that we can arrange it so that we don't go more than a couple months between visits. At the moment it's looking like Luke will hopefully be able to come up to Victoria during his Spring Break from school. So that would be wonderful! And then he has the summer off for the most part, so we're hoping that he can spend a great deal of it in Canada with me! And then who knows what stage we'll be in the paperwork at that point in time...we'll have to go with the flow until then.

It's going to be extremely difficult, and very lonely, especially for Luke. Thankfully I will have my family, as always, so that will be really nice. Sadly, he will only have the cats to keep him company...but I'm hoping that with the constant phone calls and IM's we'll do okay. So I would love it if you all could keep us in your thoughts and prayers....pray that our case gets complete and we get an interview ASAP!! Apparently Montreal is a very very slow consulate, so we're hoping and praying that they find a way to change that this year and get rid of the backlog! ASAP!!! :)

So, that's just an update on what's happening with us....I'm planning on keeping this blog very updated so that everyone can see our progress, and Luke can keep up on my day to day life in Victoria :)

3 comments:

  1. That's so sad to be away from your true love for that long...I'll pray that the process is expedited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Alina will be praying this whole process goes quite fast so she doesn't have to share her bedroom for too long!!! Ha ha just kidding! Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks guys :) And yes, mom, I'm sure she will!!

    ReplyDelete