Saturday, December 11, 2010

Ruffled Scarf - pattern included!

I found this great sparkly silver/platinum coloured wool at Michael's the other day and knew it would be absolutely perfect for a friend of mine who loves things that are "practical yet alluring!!", so I decided to make her a scarf.  She's most definitely a girly girl, and I knew the wool really needed a fun, flirty kind of pattern, so I found this great Ruffled Scarf from a lady named Maryse.

Here's the pattern if anyone is interested:

Materials:  Alpaca Ware Superfine Alpaca Yarn, 3 skeins (or approximately 540 yards of a fingering or DK weight yarn; wpi = 14).   (My wool is listed as FINE and I used approx 2 1/4 balls, so about 500 yards)
Size 4US and 7US needles.  (I used 3.5mm and 4.5mm needles)
Finished measurements:  Length:  approximately 48 inches; Width:  approximately 6 inches;
Gauge:  I didn't check gauge, I just went for a relatively drapey fabric.  You want the scarf to be soft and malleable.  (My gauge on this wool is 24 stitches x 30 rows = 4"x4" on 3.75mm needles)
Instructions:
With size 7 needles, cast on 48 stitches.  (I cast on 60 stitches because I like my scarves a little wider, and once it was done it was approx 6-8 inches wide)
Row 1, 3, 5:  Knit.
Row 2, 4, 6:  Purl.
Change to size 4 needles:
Row 7:  *Knit 2 together* 24 times (you'll end up with 24 stitches on the needles)
Row 8-12:  Knit.
Change to size 7 needles:
Row 13:  *Kfb* 24 times (you'll end up with 48 stitches again).
Repeat rows 2-13 until you've reached the length you want. 
Bind off.

And some photos of the final product!

I was very happy with how it turned out, and she loved it when I gave it to her today, so it was a win/win in every way! :)  I'm planning on making this pattern again - we just found some really great chenille wool at the dollar store of all places, so I might see how it knits up in a bit of a thicker weight wool.

Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment