Saturday, October 23, 2010

God's Sabbath

I listened to a really great sermon today, by Arnold Hampton, called "The Sabbath".  It talked about *how* we're to keep the Sabbath, the responsibility that we have to God to keep it correctly, and how we're affected when we don't.  I won't talk about it a lot, because I don't think it's my place to preach, but I think it's a sermon very worth listening to, no matter which group you "belong" to.

I know that if I'm truthful and honest with myself, I have a lot to learn and fix about how I keep God's Sabbath.  And how can I expect God to hear my prayers and bless me when I can't even do the most basic of things that He commands for me, like keeping His Sabbath properly.

One line that really hit home for me was when Mr. Hampton was talking about how a friend of his visited Jerusalem, and a number of people that he met use Thursday to help them with Friday's duties, so that they have even *more* time on Friday to use as a preparation day for the Sabbath.  He said "We shouldn't be using the Sabbath as a preparation for the rest of the week ahead - we should be using the week ahead as a preparation for the Sabbath!".  We don't want to be SO exhausted on Friday night because we've had to do *everything* that day, since we haven't been preparing for the Sabbath all week.  It just makes sense to me....we should be looking forward to it, preparing for it all week, so that we're not too tired, not too exhausted, not still thinking about other things when God's Holy day comes around.

I recommend the sermon, for sure - the sound quality is lacking, but it is still very worthwhile.

"The Sabbath" ~ Arnold Hampton

No comments:

Post a Comment