Friday, March 18, 2011

House Improvements - Bathroom Edition!

Luke and I are taking on a few projects while I'm here in Colorado, to get our house ready to be sold in the near future.  We have some things that could really improve the look, and hopefully the value of the house, one of which is a bit of a remodel of the bathroom.  Well, maybe not quite a remodel, as we're not reorganizing the layout or anything....just taking out the old gross linoleum, fixing the walls, adding wainscoting, painting, etc.  Here's some before pics:

I did some sanding in the bathroom yesterday (until I realized I really need a dust mask...don't worry Dad, I am getting one tomorrow night!!!), and then this afternoon I decided I should try to see how easily the old linoleum would come up.

This took me about an hour and a bit....I was interrupted a few times.  I tried a few different things, but in the end found that the best tools were a chiseled ended plaster scraper thingy (yes, that is the technical name for it), a hammer and a utility knife.  I scored the lino and then hammered the scraper underneath, taking up as much of the adhesive underneath as possible.  Not the most glamorous work, but it got the job done!!
This is all I have left to do!!!! :)
Almost done!!!  I just have a little bit around the side of the toilet and right in front of the door.  I was running out of time tonight, as sunset was quickly approaching, so I didn't have time to take off the metal strip in the doorway and get rid of the rest of the old lino.  But either tomorrow night or Sunday morning I will get on it! :)  We're hopefully heading out to Lowes tomorrow night, or Sunday sometime, to pick up some more supplies...at least paint, so I can get on with it this week.  I'll keep you all updated on how things are going!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - looking good Kristi - it's going to be nice I think - the wainscoting and the new tiles are going to make a huge difference!
    Good for you - just going for it - you are truly my daughter!! Luke probably got home and said - what have you done? What are you doing? - just like dad would!!
    Have fun - wish we were there to help you!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our bathroom floor was like that for several months. One day I got tired of the burn marks from a heater that knocked off the toilet then started sparking all over the floor and decided to rip up the linoleum. For the paper and glue we used a chisel... well, I used the chisel and Cody used our Dremel (sp?) with a scraper tool. You should look into getting one if you don't have one. They are wonderful 'tools'! I'm sure the bathroom will look great when you're done!

    ReplyDelete